Facebook

Friday, September 22, 2023

The Final (G2G) Countdown

We're leavin' together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To Earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground (leaving ground)
Will things ever be the same again?


IYKYK

(the title of this clever blog post went down a severe rabbit hole and the lyrics seemed highly appropriate)

How Things Started

Most folks my age are happy if they don't crack like a glow stick when they get out of bed but my 50th this past January seemed to light a fire in me. Maybe it was to prove to myself that I wasn't actually old. Or maybe it was to embrace this new 'season' of life knowing that I'd have more free time (kids graduating, wife's new job, etc). The pandemic had allowed me to do more exploring, camping and backpacking than ever before and honestly, it feeds all my personality traits - organization, planning and communing with nature both gives me purpose and prevents me from being a complete asshat (ahem, feeds my soul!). lol

Training

I signed up for Grand 2 Grand knowing that it would combine my loves of running, hiking, backpacking and being outdoors. Yes, it would be one of the hardest things I've ever done and something in that 'completely new' category of life experiences. I was looking forward to the meticulous planning, strategic gear purchases and of course all the testing and real-world usage prior to the race.

I also came to grips with the fact that I'd be training through the summer AGAIN for a Fall race. This always sucks but I decided that taking my training up north during the heat would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It would allow me to train in cooler weather and test out more of my gear over longer weekends.

Life-ing

The past year has not been what I would call my best 'season' as an adult. We're not talking about committing heinous crimes or anything but most of us know when we have fallen outside the bounds of what we consider our ideal (or authentic) self. I think it started with work and not feeling (a) appreciated (b) valued and (c) inspired. That daily tailspin really started to impact my mental health and often resulted in drinking more than I should...EVERY. DAY. I could feel myself pulling back from group activities, social situations and other friendly invitations. I could tell that I was being an asshole to my family. Snappy. Terse. Moody.


Numerous other stressful things were going on at this same time as well. Preparing our oldest to move out for college. Finalizing a 4-month remodel. Installing new carpet. Oh, poor us right?! First-world problems to be sure but wrapping all these things together brought me to a place where my best self had left the building. My wife tagged it as 'man-o-pause' 😃 I'd like to think of it as just a new season.

Breakdown? No, Breakthrough

As a coach, I typically tell my athletes that your mental strength (and state) accounts for more of your success when it comes to any endurance event. To be honest, I'm not even sure when the breakthrough came but there was a clear realization that if I was going to be successful at this 7-day stage race (Grand 2 Grand) at the end of September then I needed to be firing on all cylinders, physically and mentally.

In a way, I used the race as an excuse to implement these changes in my life knowing they would (primarily) help me with my (physical) training but also my mental training/health.

Let's just say, I'm glad I did.

How It's Going

Get Your Head Correct

I still have a hard time saying the word, but I've been going to therapy now for about 5 months. I prefer the word counselling but it all amounts to the same thing...someone to talk to. The social stigma around men sharing their feelings and personal hardships is not wildly accepted (even after that stupid pandemic) but having someone validate your concerns, thoughts and feelings has been super-helpful in this transition back to my best self. I get to unpack a ton of stuff that goes through my head but is never really verbalized to anyone.

Just remember: Everyone is dealing with their own shit whether they show it or not.

Healthy Heart

Despite my ability to run for hours, I had discovered that my health was not as great as I thought it could/should be. A recent physical told me (1) my bad cholesterol (LDL) was high and (2) I was borderline anemic.

This medical information combined with the general acknowledgement alcohol had been playing in my daily life, I decided to take on the 75 Hard Challenge. But (and it's a big butt), I adapted it to be more of a lifestyle than an absolute black or white challenge. I called it 75 Hard-ish. Sounds like bullshit...what does that even mean?! lol

75 Hard Rule ------> 75 Hard-ish Rule
  1. Pick a diet --------> Intermittently fasting (17 hours), low-carb lunch and normal dinners
  2. Gallon of water --------> no change (this is actually harder than it sounds!)
  3. Work out twice a day, 45 min each, once outside ------> 1.5 hours a day total (outside, in the AZ summer?! F-that!)
  4. No alcohol -------> totally, but N/A beers and zero-spirits allowed
  5. Read 10 pages a day -------> read or journal for 15 minutes a day
  6. Daily progress photo -------> weekly progress photo
There's no "starting over" with my program. Just make the commitment and do the best you can for those 75 days. I planned the program so that it would end on race day. It's not really surprising that sticking to this program vastly improved my running and recovery. I could write another blog on this program and the benefits...we'll see.

July 2023


September 2023


Race Day Is Here

I am about 2 hours from checking into the race and have never felt more prepared for a race in my life. I'm still reflecting on both the physical and mental gains I've made over the last 75 days. Admittedly, I was scared to break the cycle of recreational alcohol - which is one of the clear reasons I needed to take the leap. It's not as hard as I expected and the benefits have spanned my life physically, mentally and biologically (e.g., my health)


Yes. I dropped about 15 pounds.
Yes, I am less moody.
Yes, I have better outlook at work and home.
Yes, my physical health (indicators) have improved.
Yes, my mental health has greatly improved.
Yes, I like unraveling various topics with my therapist.
Yes, I like how I feel without alcohol.

I realize this is less about the race itself but honestly, this milestone has been largely symbolic and more of a target to take back my authentic self and accept this new 'season' of my life with integrity and pride. I'm anxious to toe the line in a couple days and get these miles underway. Truthfully, I'm tired of stressing about the preparations and am looking forward to a celebratory beer at the finish line! 🍻

What Comes Next?

This has been a recurring theme with my therapist and after a number of conversations, I have some ideas but nothing really solid. Here are a few things I'm sifting through:
  1. I'd like to enjoy some time with my wife on the weekends
  2. I'd like to enjoy some time off from training
  3. I'd like to enjoy the outdoors recreationally this Fall/Winter season
  4. I'd like to continue to explore my relationship with alcohol
  5. I'd like to set some additional endurance goals for 2024
I have 7 days with no technology or electronics to think about all these things. Hopefully, I'll receive total enlightenment on my Grand 2 Grand "walkabout" 🤩 LOL

See you in a week. Stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment