Facebook

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

We're Going Streaking!!!


So I decided to go on a streak. No, not like Frank the Tank but the reference still kills. Hilarious.

I'm not really sure why I decided to go on a running streak. I've been feeling great on my runs, eating well and have a pretty solid group of folks who have also been coming out for group runs on a regular basis. It's encouraging and exciting at the same time. It got me thinking about why I couldn't make at least 30 minutes a day to get out into this great Arizona weather and work on my tan lines :)

Today is my 20th day of "the streak". I have a race on Saturday (Old Pueblo 50) and I'm just not sure why or if I need to continue the streak up to and after race day. I think it would be awesome to reach even 50 or 100 days but I really don't have anything pushing me other than, what if? Bare with me as I cross-examine the pros and cons of keeping the streak going:

Pros:


  • A good reason to leave work early
  • Improved endurance
  • Able to drink more beer
  • A great excuse to get the kids outside to bike with you
  • Awesome tan/dirt sock lines
  • Predictable weekly mileage

Cons:

  • More stinky clothes, more often
  • Icing the feet more often
  • More under-the-desk-Costanza-nap-moments
  • Post-race runs always suck
  • No sleeping in...ever!
Though I haven't decided one way or the other, this 20 days has shown me that (1) I can streak-run if I want to and (2) it's not as hard as I thought. But again, other than burning calories each day, why go streaking? Well, the one answer is obvious if you're Old School but from a running standpoint, I'm not sure I get it (or want it). We'll see how things go this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment