Facebook

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Leave me alone, I'm tapering

When people learn that I run ultra-distances, one of the first things they say is, "Isn't that hard on your body"? I typically make silly face, laugh it off and quickly retort something about how good sitting on the couch is for you...

The irony is that when running consistently and putting on 70-90 miles a week, I stay healthier than when the miles drop in preparation for a race. The illustrious taper is never quite as glamorous or beneficial as it's made out to be. Bones settle, muscles relax and the aches settle in...

For example, over the last week a small yet noticeable pain has been brewing on the upper part of my right tibia. It feels like a bruise at the top of the tibia right before the kneecap. The strangest thing is that it hurts less when putting pressure on it but if I'm lifting my leg to get dressed or shifting my weight, it hurts the most. At first, I thought I had just slept on my side funny and tweaked my knee.

I ran this morning and it felt fine. I guess only time will tell. It's certainly not going to stop me from starting the Black Hills 100 next Saturday, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment