Facebook

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Feelin' it

It's been a great week for me. Healing from an injury is one of the harder things I've had to do mentally. It's been 9 months since my PR at the Lake Steven's 70.3 race - it's also been 9 months since I was injury-free.

During that time, I've coped with feelings of frustration, doubt and inadequacy as it relates not only to my current abilities but the prospect of rebuilding a fitness that has to go beyond what I've ever known. The anticipation of knowing that the Arizona Ironman will be by far the most physically demanding thing I have ever done is but a glimmer of hope in the not-so-distant future...and that's a little bit scary right now.

Since last week though, those feelings have melted away - the idea of training, eating right and making wise fitness choices has taken hold of my psyche and begun moving me toward a goal that only few people get to brag about. Knowing that the healing process is working has lifted a burden that only those who are stricken can know...

I am back to enjoying my bike rides. I love hitting 1000 m (for now) in the pool after the kids are in bed. At the present however, it's not for the love of those activities - which is the weird thing (I do actually enjoy those activities for what they are). I'm enjoying them because I know that my feet will feel fine after I'm done with them...is that strange? I couldn't enjoy those things before knowing that I (my feet) would pay for several days following.

Feelin' it is the only way I can describe where I'm at these days. Things are looking up - the feet don't hurt and the fitness is coming back. Now I'm not vain but hopefully the waistline will come back soon as well. I clocked in at 171 yesterday evening...that's +11 from 9 months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment