Facebook

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Race Across the Sky

I'm a nervous wreck.

Not only am I running the Black Hills 100 this weekend but I was just notified that I won something.

But not just anything.

I won a slot to one of the most prestigious trail races in the world.

Leadville 100.

It's one of those moments where you pinch yourself to make sure you're not dreaming. Despite all my fears and misgivings though, I did not hesitate to jump on the opportunity.

Me: "I won an entry to the Leadville 100"

Wife: "Where is it?"

Me: "Colorado"

Wife: "So are you asking me for permission to go?"

Me: "Sort of, but not really. I pretty much already decided."

Wife: "(eye-roll + sigh) Just don't fall off the mountain..."

I then explained to her that if there were ever a list of the most awesome-tastic runs in the world, this one would be on it. The fact that I won this via Strava and the nominations of my friends and colleagues makes it even more special. I'm humbled for sure but karma rocks sometimes!

But adding this race to my year changes it's complexion quite a bit. Now, instead of 3 100-mile races this year I now have 4...and not just chump-change races. Just look at that line-up...

June 29


August 17

September 28
I'm already asking my knees for forgiveness.

Rather than freak out completely though, I've resolved to take these races one at a time and leverage the experience for the next one. I've learned a lot about my mental fortitude recently but just hope my body can keep up with the insane amount of climbing these races require.

Either way, I'm stoked...

1 comment: