Facebook

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Let the healing begin

3 weeks in a cast was an eternity. And boy, am I glad to be out of that thing...the only good thing to come out of the whole experience was the de-dazzling job the neighbor kids bestowed on my hardware.
The bad news is that those jewels come off...in your bed. I won't tell you all the places I found them in the morning.

But now that the cast is off, the walking boot is on for another 3 weeks according to the doc. There was a time when I hated the walking boot...but just like so many things in life, it's all relative. And compared to the cast, I'll take the walking boot ANY DAY!

I can actually go up stairs using both feet.
I no longer have to get dropped off in front every store.

I don't get the same sympathy points as being the cast but still there are some pretty sweet perks about being in a walking boot.

For starters, I get to drive. FREEDOM! I don't have to bum rides from my wife any more...I know for a fact she was tired of dragging my cripple ass around town to all my appointments. I guess the only other one is that I get to wear matching socks again. OK, maybe the perks aren't that great.
At least they match...
I thought it would be a lot easier to hop out of the cast and just start walking around but boy, was I wrong! Pressure, weight and stress are all things that ankle hasn't dealt with for a long time and it took 3-4 days before it felt 'normal' to walk on. Take a look at this side-by-side of the atrophy that occurred in my right calf. Pretty sad.

But look on the bright side...no more cankles!!!

The other bad news is that I probably won't be able to run Old Pueblo in early March. I'll be lucky if the doctor let's me start running in mid-February. Even then, preparing for Zane Grey in April will be a stretch as well...sigh.

But here's the deal - I'm actually following my doctor's orders. As much as it sucks, I'm doing what I'm told. Following orders. Making sure it's done right this time.

I miss spending time on Strava and wasting hours trying to synch my Garmin...but I'll be back. Healthy and ready to take back some course records. Watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment