Facebook

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Transition time

The irony of this time of year is that for the past 4-5 months, I've done nothing but complain that it's too damn hot to run.

"Arggh! I wish it would cool down", I'd say to my wife.

I get only rolled eyes, shrugged shoulders and the occasional "Wuss" when I try to explain to her why the chilly mornings just make me want to sleep in. I'm pretty sure the rest of the country laughs at my thin(ning) Arizona blood too...

My running schedule has sucked the last couple weeks. I've tried to make up for my missed morning runs by going out in the afternoon, but being on Mountain Time while my team is on the west coast breeds a little bit of guilt when I take off at 3:30 to go run.

(Just to qualify this, I start work around 4:30 am MST - which seems a little silly to be guilty knowing I've put in an 11-hour day)

Regardless, I find I'm making the transition to afternoon runs these days. It's just a matter of breaking free from the hamster-wheel and forcing myself outside in the mid-70 degree sun (yes I know...why wouldn't you force yourself out into that beautiful weather?!)

We're coming up on the holidays which means elastic pants and left-overs. Can't wait! Friends, food and drink for the next several days will need some run-intervention I'm sure...

It also means we're coming up on the North Face 50 in San Francisco on December 1 where I'm pacing a buddy of mine. Never mind him being ready...I'm more worried about myself running 22 miles and around 5k of elevation.

Guess we'll see.

Enjoy the holiday everyone and be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment