Facebook

Monday, June 18, 2012

The truth about tapering

Any runner preparing for a race will tell you that aside from the actual training itself, tapering requires just as much discipline and restraint. For weeks on weeks you've been getting up early, trying to eat right and constantly pushing your body and mind until one day, you turn the dial down a notch and begin to taper.

Ultra-runners often have such a warped sense of reality when it comes to training and tapering compared to the rest of the world. In my opinion, tapering is a good reminder to never lose perspective.

Some people hate tapering. Other love it (or at least the break that comes with it).

In either case, there are some universal truths to tapering.

What the runner says: "I can't wait to sleep in"
The truth: Since 5 am is considered sleeping in NOWHERE IN THE WORLD, this is bullsh*t.

What a runner says: "I get aches and pains when I taper"
The truth: These are the collective sighs of each joint, muscle and tendon saying, "Thank you". Get a massage and love them back. They will thank you on race day.


What a runner says: "I'm just going to go for a little run"
The truth: Again, bullsh*t. "Little run" is code for a minimum of 15 miles and 4,500' of elevation gain...


What a runner says: "Now I can eat whatever I want"
The truth: Eating a vat of wings will most certainly NOT make you run faster. Save the burger and beers for after the race.

This is likely my last post before the Black Hills 100(k) next weekend. I am both anxious and a little scared. I am confident in my training...just concerned about the elevation gain.

So yes, I plan to enjoy my taper this week - even if I only 'sleep in' until 5 am.





No comments:

Post a Comment