Facebook

Monday, January 16, 2012

2012 PF Chang Marathon

I don't have a ton of time to write about this race so I'll just say, I had fun. On my birthday no less. 39 years young.

Aside from the 30 minute delay, the race went well and it seemed like the course change this year - which wove though some of the nicest place in Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale - was relatively flat and scenic. There were many more spectators than I remember last year too.

I had pretty low expectations for my performance at this race given that my longest run over the last month was 13 miles. I might have averaged 15-20 miles per week.

Miles 1-13 were easy.

Miles 14-19 I found a second wind.

Miles 20-26 the wheels came off.

Notables:

  1. Having Heidi and Debbie show up along the course to cheer on the clown. You ladies are the best.
  2. Bumping into Jay around mile 23 pacing his wife. She was sick of him but his inspiring words came at just the right time. Thanks Jay!
  3. All of my 'new' gear held up for 26.2 miles. No blisters, chaffing or rubbing.
The last 2 miles were just gritting my teeth and heads down. Nothing more.

I'm happy to be done. Actively recovering in the hopes I can tackle the Coldwater 50k this coming weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words on my blog. I do have to point out the obvious on this post....you buried your finishing time in the link. Not cool. Kudos for you still going out and doing the marathon despite the fact that you were undertrained. At this point, your undertrained is far more "trained" than I am. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete