Facebook

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Up, up and away

There is always something mentally liberating when I get to a place in my training where things are firing just right. Any runner will tell you that there are not just physical barriers to overcome as the distances get longer but more importantly are the mental barriers. All the fear and doubt of going 'just a little farther' subsides and is replaced with almost a flippant attitude of "oh, this X miles is going to be a cake-walk".

I'm in that place. And it feels good. I'm healthy, feeling strong and taking care of myself.

The mileage ramps over the next 2 weeks until culminating with the Cave Creek Thriller 50k on the 29th. My schedule calls for several intermediate runs each week (between 10 and 13 miles) and then a 17-mile run tomorrow and 20-mile run next weekend until tapering begins on the 24th (largely because I'm traveling for work). The part that will be interesting is that I return that Friday evening and the race is Saturday morning.

So to all of you out there who want to go a little bit farther...go for it. Both your body and mind will thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment