Facebook

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MP update and sleeping in

I started PT on Monday to help address the Meralgia Peristhetica (MP) in my right thigh. I wasn't expecting much of this appointment other than describing the symptoms to the therapist, taking some measurements or checking my range of motion. We ended up doing about 15 minutes of stretching and some electrical stimulation on my hip - both of which seemed to help a tiny bit but not enough to be long-lasting.

Since then I've been sitting down at night to do so pretty rigorous stretching of my hip and groin area - much of which seems to bring an improved sensation back to my thigh but has caused some stretching soreness in my hip, back and groin - a clear indication that those areas are pretty weak and need some conditioning attention.

It just goes to show that stretching and even cross-training is important to stay balanced at any level of fitness.

Now that I'm on the right path there, the next thing is figuring out how to get motivated again. To be honest, I'm in the red when it comes to desire, drive and motivation right now. I'm struggling to find a reason to make the magic happen every day. I just can't find a reason to get up early at all. While I'm pretty discouraged by the heat I really can't pinpoint one particular thing that is draining my mojo.

I'll be honest, I don't mind waking up at 6 or 6:30 - sleeping in is not a luxury I've been able to enjoy over the years. Still, it makes me wonder, "Is this what approaching 40 is all about?" Pretty soon I'll need my walker to make it around the block...

I have some ideas to get the mojo going again - one that I'm particularly excited about. It involves all you out there giving me money (in the form of donations) to "encourage" me to run some gonzo mileage. I love the idea of making my passion for running and endurance events philanthropic. Look for details in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment