Facebook

Monday, March 14, 2011

Life without a (race) plan

In the last couple weeks since Ragnar, I've come to realize that without a race plan or future race goals, I'm one of the least-motivated people on the planet when it comes to a traditional gym-rat routine. I can understand how people get burned out doing the same 'ole thing at the gym week after week. Though I'm probably not the only person in the world paying for a gym-membership and NOT using it (which annoys the hell out of me that I'm wasting money), I just can't seem to commit myself to going there and finding anything useful or fun to do.

I'm struggling with this overall idea of being a triathlete as well - am I or aren't I? While I enjoy the disciplines, I feel like I'm past the novelty of the sport, distance and training. It's still enjoyable for me but I think the real challenge will be taking the last couple years and using them as a baseline to improve.

Relative to endurance racing, I've discovered that I just can't let the sleeping dog lie either. These past couple years have been an ever-expanding-non-stop-achievement-of-bigger-and-bigger-things...something I didn't think was a part of my persona. The "problem" is, I can't seem to stop.

I'm clearly not the first person out there to push and push to see what I'm capable of (think, Dean Karnazes). But it's different when the fight is personal. I have no special story - no ABC After School Special of any kind. Just a dude trying to stay in shape and have some fun. What can't I do? I'm not sure I will ever stop asking that question. At the same time, I kind of like being that 'crazy guy' everyone's friends know who did something that is unimaginable to a large percentage of the world.

So back to this notion of a race plan. I wanted this year to be full of new and exciting things...so far, it has not been a disappointment. I'm getting antsy without anything on the (race) calendar though. I'm sure that will change soon - scheduling and $$$ are under review. Hopefully, I'll be able to share more concrete plans here in the near future.

The push is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment