Facebook

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A sliver of doubt

I am T-minus 9 days from is supposed to be my foray into the world of Ultramarathons and yet, I'm still trying to feel 'normal' after another ear infection hit this past week. I have a decision to make early next week and I'm slightly afraid of doing the unthinkable...pulling out of a race.

I really want to do this run. One of the things I promised myself for 2011 was that I would find events that would take me back to the reasons I love running and honestly, just staying fit. The SanTan Scramble (50K) is pure trail running with some fairly technical ascents and descents - mainly because you're running up a big hill! I've been out a few times to check it out and have really enjoyed myself out in the desert. Something about running in the open air of the desert early in the morning gets me charged up.
3D view of the 50K course along with elevation profile (yikes!)
Herein lies my problem. I'm feeling about 75% today and have logged maybe 10 miles since the PF Chang Marathon on January 16. Compound that with the treachery and hazards that come with trail running. Never-mind that I am committed to do the Ragnar Relay only 2 weeks after the 50K. Talk about zero down time...

Everyone thinks I'm nuts right now. So do I. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do about it yet.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment