Facebook

Friday, October 1, 2010

There is no easy way

This week has once again been a strange week in regards to both training and mental 'stability' (for lack of a better word). It's strange to me that training - and sometimes the lack of - makes one question their resolve, strength and mental fortitude. Still nursing the tweaks in my knees and feeling slightly off (like almost feeling sick) this week has tested my overall resolve to continue staying close to the training plan. While the running has declined, I have tried to continue with the swimming and cycling milestones.

During times like this, one of the things I always come back to are the key things I wrote down on recommendation of Joe Friel & Gordon Byrn, author of "Going Long". These are all hanging on my office wall but I realize that I don't stop to read them every day. They are good reminders of reality.



It's very easy to lose perspective after training for months on end - you forget that 12 months ago, you could barely run 2 miles or that a 20 mile bike ride seemed to take forever and made your ass sore for days.

I relish in the fact that I've come so far and that I have a great group of friends and family that are supporting me with this challenge. It's something that no matter how I feel week-to-week, I know that I'll finish and I know it's something that can never be taken away from me.


That said, here is a summary of the week:

Monday - 1.5 mi swim (pyramid drills)
Tuesday - 5 mi run (easy pace)
Wednesday - off (not feeling well)
Thursday - 30 mi bike time trial
Friday - 2.4 mi swim

Brick planned on Sunday - 80 mi bike and 30 minute run. We'll see how that feels to determine how best to ramp through October.

Happy training everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment