Facebook

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Just keep swimming...

I've blogged several times in the past that swimming is probably my least favorite of the three disciplines. In reality, the logic escapes me for why I continue to have such a disdain for the sport - it's the least impactful on the body, requires little to no gear and is one of the best cardio workouts you could ever get. I think it's mostly the chlorine.

Some people have a gag-reflex with yogurt (my wife) others with cottage cheese (my wife)...for me, chlorine. It's not that I'm drinking it on purpose. Towards the end of my 4,500 yard swim today (2.5 miles), I was getting lazy/tired and not twisting my body enough to get my face fully out of the water to take a breath. Chlorine ingestion commenced and I had to stop to clear the pipes...still can't get that taste out of my mouth. Ugghhh.

Someone asked me what I think about when I'm swimming (it seems people are very curious about that goes through the mind of a triathlete when swimming, biking or running these crazy distances). Truth-be-told, for the first 2 miles, I am concentrating on a smooth stroke, trying to alternate my breathing and keeping my body balanced so my legs don't drop too far. Between 2 and 2.5 miles however, I replay the scene from Finding Nemo where Dory and Marlin are on the edge of the dark precipice considering swimming down into the dark abyss to find the diver's mask.

Dory delivers the classic "Just keep swimming..." line and it repeats over and over in my mind during every race and swim session I do. May sound childish and insignificant but when your shoulders are about ready to burst and your lungs are about ready to pop out of your chest, it is the one thing that keeps me going.

With less than 4 weeks to go to Ironman Arizona, that is all I can do is just keep swimming. Later.

1 comment:

  1. Trevor, for this — my third IM — I'm using the Cross-fit Endurance training protocol. Working with a coach who advocates this type of training which is focused on functional strength and short, high-intensity workouts. I have trained more traditionally for past two IMs. I simply don't have the time or the desire to spend five hours on a bike or 3 hours running or 1.5 hours in the pool. Demanding job and family and just a need for balance and sanity.

    November 21st will be the big test, but I have had a successful half IM and half mary so far using this protocol so we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete