Facebook

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Searching for a second wind

It's been 4 days since my race in Lake Stevens and I still have this lingering sense that my body is not right. I'm not sure how to describe it but the only symptom is fatigue. I get tired throughout the day and have gone to bed  around 9 for the last couple days. I blame it on the Penicillin but who really knows.

I have missed all my workouts this week - simply too tired and unmotivated to get out of bed @ 4:30 am for that bike ride, swim or run. Wish I knew what was going on.

On one hand, I'm elated that I pulled through last week's race but it's almost as if my psyche reached that pinnacle and decided that I was done (for a while). On the other hand, I know that these next 3 months are going to be some of the hardest training I have ever endured. Perhaps that is where the mental block is coming from. I've proven I can take on the 70.3 distance but conquering the next phase - doubling this distance is a feat that will take dedication, strength and the ability to break down those mental barriers week by week.

I've heard that an Ironman is not twice as hard as the 70.3 distance...it's exponentially harder. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

I plan to ride the rest of this week out - reflecting on why I committed to the Arizona Ironman in the first place. Inspiration comes from many places. For some, it's a goal. Others do it for the sake of a loved one lost. Some, because someone said they can't. I'd like to think that my inspiration is more deeply rooted than just something on my bucket list.

What is your inspiration?

4 comments:

  1. I could've told you before all of this that your body is not right! Either way, you are way stronger physically and mentally than I ever thought you were (not calling you a wimp, just sayin) and I know that you will push through and reach your goal. We have the same genetic makeup and I know that you will get your third, fourth and fifth wind to accomplish this. You rock and I am amazed by your determination bro. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had something to offer, my only thought is nutrition. when I moved from weight lifting to cycling I found it difficult (still haven't found the right balance) to switch from higher protein to more carbs... When I do longer rides and pre-carb and post carb I still find myself fatigued to the point of sleep. Anyway - I'm still looking for answer, if you learn something let us all know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No harm in resting. Its good for you!

    The bigger question... is there gonna be water in Tempe Town Lake??!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jen - thanks for the encouragement. I love you too.

    @Steve - given that I'm about 4 days into this training week and feel the best I've ever felt, I'm going to chalk up my fatigue to the ear infection and Penicillin. Once I was done with that prescription and I started training again, I felt right as rain.

    @Pam - you are sooo right. Rest does the body good. Seriously not sure about Tempe Town Lake. They are saying it's going to be filled for the race. If so, it is likely going to be the cleanest it has ever been for an IM race :)

    ReplyDelete