Facebook

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Great timing

I remember planning for my trip to Seattle a month ago thinking to myself, "Is is better to fly in early for the race or fly in the day before?" The answer to that question appeared Wednesday morning shortly after waking up. Disguised as fatigue and a scratchy throat, I figured it was just because I got in late the night before and didn't get much sleep. Little did I know it was the beginning of something sinister and evil that only happens when everything matters most.

Wednesday and Thursday were the longest days ever. Fatigued layered with blurry eyes and pressure in my sinuses only meant one thing - infection. Ear, sinus or both was my self-proclaimed diagnosis. In the hopes of nipping it in the bud, I ran to the Urgent Care here in Redmond to see whether I had missed my calling as a doctor or had seen one too many episodes of Grey's Anatomy.

Turns out they don't hand out Penicillin to any chap that walks in the door. Only those with ear infections. Lucky me.

There was a period of about 10 minutes this morning that I actually considered dropping from the Lake Steven's 70.3 race tomorrow. A short morning bike ride today made me feel like all the months of training really didn't matter - I had nothing in the tank. Soreness and fatigue are my only friends lately...

Some might call it foolishness. I like to think that I'm fulfilling my commitment. I finish what I start. If I thought I was putting myself in harms way, I would fold - but I feel well enough to at least give it a go.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment