Facebook

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Some like it HOT

Coming back to the Northwest for some business has been a clear validation of our decision to move away several years ago - they've had a run of grey, cold rainy weather that would even make a snowman say, "WTF?" Since I arrived on Tuesday, it's been raining and cool...not unexpected for this time of year but nonetheless, a pain in the ass for me and my fellow co-workers who have been trying to train for upcoming races. It puts into perspective that I'm not fighting as many weather-related elements in Arizona - if I were, I don't know that I'd have the discipline or desire to do long rides/runs in the pouring rain.

On the polar opposite end of that spectrum is Arizona. This is the time of year when the low temps only get down to 86 and you pack the oven mitts in the glove box to make sure you can actually drive your car after it's been sitting in the sun for a couple hours. Water bottles get frozen, the tri-tanks get washed every night and the sunblock is applied every day...

So while I can certainly appreciate (and respect) the heat of Arizona, being back in Washington takes me back to those marathon training days when we did get up at 4:30 am to run in the miserable rain. Those days when the weather was a perfectly cool 55 degrees. Those are great memories - one of which I relived on a run today with my co-worker who got us all started on this 'running' thing. The rain actually stopped long enough for us to get in a quick 4 miles near the office. Ah...dodging oncoming traffic, sucking in exhaust fumes and avoiding the slugs...those are good times :)

if I'm being honest, there is no way I could come back and be covered in clouds for 9 months out of the year - this is no way to live...in fear of rain. So next Saturday when it's 115 and we've fried some eggs on the sidewalk and peeled the soles of my shoes from the road, check back in and see which climate I prefer. I may have changed my mind ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment