Facebook

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

You call that a run?

run \ˈrən\ : to go faster than a walk; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step

I knew that starting out this week would be a challenge and a period of transition trying to use the Newton running shoes for the first time. I've watched all the videos and taken notes on how to adjust my form once I was actually out there on the pavement. No problem. I was (and still am) expecting it to take some time given their newness and my absence from running.

Like any good runner, I spent a good 15 minutes stretching before my inaugural run - quads, calves, lower back and hamstrings..."yep, this is gonna be good".

I launched myself into the street trying to contain the boundless energy I felt. My torso was bend slightly forward, my arms relaxed and my feet tapping the ground with that all-too-familiar rhythm. Within just a few strides I could feel the lugs on the bottom of the Newton's pressing and releasing, giving me back just enough kinetic energy to make me feel justified in spending this kind of money on a pair of shoes.

...and then, the strain...the pressure...the pulling sensation in my left arch started screaming at me. I wouldn't call it pain, but it was close. I proceeded to walk a little bit determined not to let this destroy my glorious foray back into the world of running. Feeling better, I bounded forward again - only to be smacked down by the straining in my left arch.

Slightly dejected by the discomfort in my feet, I walked back to the house and tried my best to celebrate the first "run". Only a runner celebrates with more stretching and icing. I'm trying not to think about the distance - it's just a number right now. Similar to the approach I took with swimming, I'm starting from ground zero...and I'm OK with that.

100 yards - that's how far I ran yesterday...and I have my Garmin to prove it :)

Speed and distance will come. Patience. I'm happy I get to run again - no matter how far it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment