Facebook

Monday, May 10, 2010

Product review: Newton running shoes

Now that I've logged more than 3 total miles in my Newton Stability Performance running shoes, I feel more than experienced to give them a thorough shakedown and review :^D

One of the things you'll notice right away is the color. At first, I thought "Geesh, you can see me coming from a mile away". This probably isn't a bad thing if you do your running in the early hours of the day like I do. Just be warned - there aren't any fashion-forward color schemes Newton offers. I think it's a European-thing to offer the loudest and most obnoxious colors you possible can. Then again, you'll never mistake these for anything else. They say, "Look at me. I'm a serious runner and fashion doesn't matter when you're focused on running" Either that or "I paid too much for ugly shoes"

Guess how much these weigh? Less than 9 ounces. Not that traditional running shoes are that heavy, but every ounce makes a difference, right?

One other great feature of these shoes is how ventilated they are. You can see from the photo that they are full of holes and stay very cool on the feet.


There is only one thing that I've discovered I don't enjoy very much about the Newtons. There is a panel of fabric on both the right and left side of the shoe that extends down both sides...see below. The seam between the tow box and this panel creates a ridge that, no matter what type of socks you wear, continuously rubs on both the big and little toes at the same time. Just in the short distances I've run, this has annoyed me to no end.


Is it enough to keep me from loving these shoes? No.


Do I regret spending that kind of money on shoes? Nope.


Can I already see a noticeable difference in my form? Darn right.


Overall, I'd give these a 4 out of 5 (5 being the best). I love the construction, weight and the sheer science behind improving your running form. I took a half star for the colors and a half star for the panels-that-stick-out-inside-the-shoe issue.


If you're on the fence about buying a pair, just give in. You won't regret spending the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment