Facebook

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Best laid plans

I'm a morning person - always have been. I've always felt that the day goes much more quickly when you're making the most use of as many hours as you can. Over the last couple years, it's proven to be one of the things that has allowed me train with a clear conscience, knowing that I wasn't impacting time with my wife or kids.

You can almost say that I have a sense of pride on my early hour activities. As a triathlete, we commonly do more before 9 am than most people do all day.

Something is different this week however and I have S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E-D to make my morning workouts. My clothes are laid out, bike is prepped and the Heed is mixed...I just can't pull myself out of bed. It's not for a lack of motivation, I'm just tired.

Many of you know that the body is an incredible machine - it has an amazing ability to 'speak' to you if you're listening. Over the years, I have become a very good listener...injury will make you acutely aware of even the slightest changes. So when I sleep through all 3 of my alarms - TWICE THIS WEEK - I know something is up. I'll blame it on the increased run mileage this week - though it's not much (9 miles total), I'm sure it's put me at the tipping point as I acclimate to all three disciplines (again).

I could be furious. I could even be bummed that I've overslept - but why? I easily substituted a bike ride for a 5K TT run (see below) and today, well, it was a good time to catch up on my blog and enjoy the solitude of the early morning...just me and my coffee.


So here's to sleeping in - it's not something I do often but when I do, but I have to believe it's for the best. I guess I just have to find a clock that has 4 alarms to make sure I get up in time for race day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment