Facebook

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Stupid fire alarm

As I mentioned in a previous post, my feet have been feeling better and for the last couple days and I've had every intention of running some shorter distances just to regain some confidence. Mentally, I'm still very tentative about running. But like anything, you just need to go do it.

...and I would if I could get a decent night's sleep...

There is one fire alarm down the hall from our bedroom (right in front of the kids bedroom) that 'chirps'. It's been going on for about a year now - we figured, 'oh, the battery needs to be replaced'.

Nope.

Press the reset button. Silence. Sweet.

12 hours later however the stupid fire alarm starts to 'chirp' (at 2:30 am). Not only does it wake my wife and I up but also the kids.

Well, climbing up on the ladder (yes, I've left the ladder in the hall because the chirping occurs so often), silencing the alarm, settling the kids back to bed, going to bathroom while I'm up doesn't exactly fit within that sleepy-drunken-stupor window...

So from about 3 am on, I'm not going back to sleep. Yes, you try but just end up laying in bed staring at the ceiling and longing for REM sleep to come take you away to a happy place.

So right about now, I'm not in a happy place, still sleepy and haven't run in a couple days. I will probably try to go for a run this morning after the kids head off to school.

In case you're wondering, the fire alarm is no longer attached to the ceiling. Only lose wires protrude from the ceiling where the fire alarm used to be...but the chirping has stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment