Facebook

Friday, January 14, 2011

The perfect storm

I originally did not intend the timing of this post to be the culmination of so many events but here we are at the end of the week and there is a lot going on.

For starters, it's my birthday tomorrow. I feel very thankful to have my health and the support of a loving family. My Ironman journey has not only been a phenomenal physical and mental challenge for me but it has also been the catalyst for an increased level of activity for my wife and 2 kids (7 and 4). I'm proud that I can instill the idea of fitness and well-being into their lives.

Second, it's the eve-of-the-eve of the PF Chang 2011 Marathon. I'm feeling relaxed and as ready as I can be for the effort that has gone into my training. I could have definitely done more but at this stage, I'm not going to dwell on it. I'm going to do my best, follow my race plan and let things happen.

As if this blog wasn't filled to the brim already...guess what? It's my 100th post! Aside from the therapeutic value 100 blogs brings me, I'm not sure there is much else to celebrate here :) I honestly didn't think my writing would last thing long but outside of the psychological release it brings, I'm also managed to create some friendships through my writing and following the writings of other athletes.

One of the things I've been meaning to do for a while is to review the Newton Gravitas shoes. After wearing my previous pair (Performance Racer) into the grave, I stepped out to grab another pair. Fully intending to buy the same shoe, I hit a local shop RunAZ - they have always been outstanding with their service and shoe recommendations.
Compared to the Racers, the Gravitas are slightly heaver (we're talking ounces here...) and have a firmer feel to the arch and heel. By sight, they have the same structure and width, but the Gravitas just feel more stable. Though I could not find anything conclusive on the Newton website, the Gravitas is called a 'trainer' while my previous shoe was a 'racer'. Though there is a difference in weight, I can't be certain that a few ounces would really make that much of a difference for me.

They accommodate orthodics (I use Superfeet) nicely and provide an outstanding run.

A few suggestions to Newton (I know you're reading!).

1. Though I love the airflow that comes with a wider mesh, it also allows more pebbles and gravel into the shoe. I stopped 3 times during the IMAZ to empty my shoes because they were filled with rocks from the dirt path.

2. Make the top eyelets a smidge bigger to accommodate tri-specific shoelaces like XTENEX. Using plyers to thread your shoelaces is not acceptable.

3. Color - while I'm no fashionista, the colors leave something to be desired. Perhaps Newton wants everyone to know, "Look at me, I'm wearing Newtons!"
Newton Gravitas with XTENEX laces

No comments:

Post a Comment