Facebook

Monday, October 18, 2010

Work to do

When I first set out on this journey almost 2 years ago, I don't think I grasped how much it would change me or how much I would learn about myself.

I have no coach.

I have no formal training plan.

I have only my determination and inner strength.

To spend countless hours by yourself - running, swimming and cycling - is a temporary inconvenience that must be fulfilled to reach the final goal. A goal I chose for myself.

If you can't tell, I'm at a very introspective stage in training. The last 10 days have been filled with just about zero training hours. What started as a rest weekend to go camping turned into travelling to Seattle for business and getting sick. I've run once in 10 days...AND THAT'S IT.

Suffice it to say, I'm a bit concerned about where that leaves me and under 5 weeks to go until race day. Even right now, I sit here at about 90% strength sipping mint tea and reflecting on how to give it my all yet not push myself over the edge, deeper into sickness or burning out.

I swam a mile this morning and it felt like 2 - shoulders and arms about to explode. Not the greatest confidence builder.

I think it's the times like these (which have occurred many times over the last couple years) when that desire to be the best really just takes over and continues to drive my actions and thoughts. It motivates me knowing how much I've done over the months and years rather than just the last 10 days.

I have a pretty good idea of what it's going to take to get to the finish line. It may not be pretty. It may not be the best possible time. But I'll be there. At the finish. Knowing I did my best.

Yes, there's still work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment