Facebook

Monday, August 9, 2010

A Nervous Ball of Energy

It's only Monday and the nerves are starting to build for next Sunday's race in Lake Steven's. I've never quite figured out what exactly I get nervous about before starting a race - whether it's a triathlon or just a run ...most people say it's just the excitement of the venue or the building up of the physical and mental test you know awaits.

I'm not sure I'll ever know what specifically I worry about pre-race. All I know is that races, particularly those of the Ironman caliber (70.3 and 140.6), are not events to be taken lightly. Nor are they something that a large part of the general population attempts to accomplish. I'd like to think that we (my fellow triathletes and I) are a rare breed...borderline crazy some might say, but that is what putting yourself out there is all about.

Part of my goal-setting mentality includes making my goals visible to others. It's not bragging. It's accountability. I feel compelled to do what I say and say what I do. That's just how I roll.

If someone were to psycho-analyze my dreams, they'd probably say that I am more afraid of forgetting something and not being organized for the race than I am actually finishing (this is the project manager in me). My recurring dream the week of a race is the one where I've either forgotten or misplaced my bike in the transition area. Nervousness turns to worry - worry to fear - fear to complete amazement that I could have done something so stupid as forget my bike.

So here I sit, still not really sure why or what I'm getting nervous about. I feel as good if not better than I did last year when I did this race (which was my second after Boise). Friendly competition is about the only thing I can pin it on right now...between Erik and Mikel, we all have each other in our sights. Each looking to best the other.

The thought of wearing the pink apron and grilling Erik's steak (if he beats me) has me a little nervous but then again, I'm pretty sure he already owns a pink shirt :)

Rob, Me and Mikel at the 2009 Lake Steven's 70.3

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the race. It is supposed to be HOT on Sunday. Of course, that's Washington hot, not Arizona hot.

    ReplyDelete