Facebook

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Facing the fear

I start training next Monday and I have to admit there is good and bad circling my psyche right now. On one hand, I'm excited to start dedicating myself to a single purpose and regaining my fitness - I have been bummed about my inability to (comfortably) cinch the belt that one extra hole since early November. The down-side is just the initial hurt of teaching the body to remember what it's like to swim, run or bike really far 5 days a week.

I am also unsure how to feel about a life change I'm making for 2010 - I'm going to stop drinking. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a full-fledge alcoholic or anything but there were plenty of times last year during training when a long Saturday morning ride was bamboozled by a great poker night with the guys. Aside from the missed training days, it also just makes you more susceptible to getting sick. Given that I'm a magnet for any virus, bacteria or germ my kids bring home, I think it will be an overall positive change.

I am hoping that I am recovered enough by Monday to start going after it - I'm nursing a sinus infection at the moment but feeling better every day now. Here's to a great year of training and focus...

1 comment: